Monday, June 20, 2011

I never want to do that again!

This is going to be a super long story-telling post. I apologize in advance! But it does have a happy ending.

Part 1 - Friday

Where do I start? So I did both of my exercise classes last week (Treadmill Boot Camp and Pilates). I came home from pilates on Thursday night and my husband was complaining about his teeth hurting…he thought it was probably his sinuses, which happens every few weeks, so neither of us thought much of it. I had Friday off, to do the doctor’s appointment and wedding rehearsal, which was a blessing in disguise. Dave was up all night, literally, in pain from his teeth, so neither of us got any sleep. No matter, I have gone nights without sleeping, and it’s just preparing me for the future, right?

First, Baby Marathoner Stresses Mama Out

We went to the doctor Friday morning for my 13 week check up. We would hear Baby Marathoner’s heart for the first time, but I knew and almost suspected that we would not be able to hear it on the doppler, as I’d read that sometimes it’s still early to hear the heart at this stage. After waiting for almost an hour, my doctor came in and she whipped out the doppler…and sure enough, we couldn’t hear the heart beat. I wasn’t panicking since I prepared myself for it, and so my doctor went and brought in a portable ultrasound machine. I wasn’t going to protest because the last time we saw Baby Marathoner, it looked like a cheese curd and I knew it’d look like a baby at this point! The doctor got the picture up, and Baby Marathoner looked perfect and…well… like a baby. Except she couldn’t see the heart, and Baby Marathoner was not moving. She tried for a minute or two, and could not get a good look at the heart. THIS is when I started to panic….. and right then, Baby Marathoner started jumping around and doing somersaults and aerobics in my tummy. She got a quick peek at the heart (“a few flutters”) and said everything looked great, that babies don’t move that well if they don’t have a strong heart. WHEW!!! So, apparently my child is stubborn (like dad) or a drama queen (like mom), but either way, we got an unplanned ultrasound and got to spend a few minutes watching the kiddo jump around like a frog. It was SO cool. I couldn’t stop smiling for the rest of the day. :) I still smile every time I picture it in my head.

Which was good, because….

We went to the rehearsal as soon as we got out from the doctor (rehearsal was at 10:00 a.m because there was an event at the site that night, so we had to do it in the morning). Dave was getting worse and worse. We got through the rehearsal and went to the rehearsal lunch, which took awhile and Dave was obviously in a lot of pain – he couldn’t eat anything, so he didn’t even touch his food. We went home, my in-laws came back with us and got them settled. Dave and I tried to nap for a bit, but he got to the point where the pain was unbearable. Unsure of what exactly was going on, I suggested we go to Urgent Care and at least get some painkillers, because this was gonna be a LONG weekend if he didn’t. After some convincing (see, stubborn!), we headed over to Urgent Care, where we waited for almost an hour to get in, and then waited another 30 minutes for the doctor to come see us. I am so tired of waiting in doctor’s offices!! She came in, did a quick check and said, I don’t think it’s your sinuses, I think it’s your tooth. Which was also my guess because sinuses don’t make your teeth hurt so bad that you can’t even touch it. She said it might be an abscess, so she gave him a prescription of antibiotics, and a shot of a painkiller plus some pills to get us through the weekend before seeing a dentist on Monday.

We stood up… and Dave got white and woozy! So, we had to stay at Urgent Care for another half an hour so they could monitor him and make sure he was fine. He was, and we packed up and went to Walgreens to get his prescriptions filled. Which also took an hour because the doctor forgot to fax over the prescription. We got home after 3 hours, and my in laws were kind enough to wait for us to go to dinner, but Dave wasn’t in any shape to do that. So he slept, and we went to hibachi (LOVE LOVE LOVE!)

The painkillers did absolutely nothing. He was up again all night, and about 1:30 in the morning, we had to decide: go to the ER, so he could get better painkillers? Try to find an emergency dentist? Do nothing? We decided to call our dentist’s practice and see if anyone could do anything. Thankfully, they do have an on-call dentist, and the operator said he would call us as soon as she got a hold of him. Which apparently, being on call means you ignore your pages or something, because the clock kept ticking… and I didn’t know what to do. Neither of us have slept in two days, and we are tired, and stressed, and Dave’s obviously in a ton of pain. Finally after an hour, the dentist called back and told us “uh yeah, double up on your pain meds, and then 30 minutes later, take four Motrin.”



What part of “he got a 60mg shot of it, it didn’t do ANYTHING except make him nearly pass out, and you think taking 20mg of the same pain meds is going to do anything” did you not understand?

Ugh. So, he did…and it did nothing. Out of options at this point.

Enter my secret weapon.

Dave was beside himself, so around 3:30, I gave him one of my Ativan, because I knew part of the reason it was bothering him so much is because he was exhausted and concentrating on the pain. Anti-anxiety meds will get your mind off of whatever’s ailing you, and make you sleepy in the process (win-win for the both of us). I figure I can’t take them right now, so someone might as well put it to good use! He took it and within half an hour, was able to fall asleep. Which meant I was able to fall asleep for 2.5 hours until 6 a.m. the next morning, long enough to stop worrying about having a hurting husband, who is the Best Man in the wedding, and fulfilling my MOH duties the following day.

Tomorrow…. Part 2 - Saturday


Renee @ MyKitchenAdventures said...

Whew! so now I need to know what happened with the tooth! I hope Dave is ok....but ya know, men, they can't take pain as well as us woman. If it were you, you probably would have sucked it up and managed

Isn't this always the case? this sort of thing happens when you don't have the time nor the resources to take care of it!? lol Looking forward to reading the rest tomorrow! lol

safire said...

I hope Dave feels better! It sounds so painful. I remember not being able to sleep because of my wisdom tooth being pulled for days. It was so painful. I hope everything goes well.

I'm glad to hear about the healthy pregnancy! I would be nervous too!

I think I'm not building muscle. I think I'm retaining water -_-

Karen@WaistingTime said...

Yikes! Glad to hear that baby is fine:)

fancy nancy said...

Oh my word! What a crazy time! Poor Dave!

Glad to hear the baby is doing well! That had me scared for a second reading it!! Em was always stubborn...she kept dodging the doppler!

Post a Comment