Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Free time? What’s that?

Has anyone else experienced an uptick in activities these past few weeks? I mean, it just seems like you’re busier than normal? It feels that way for us. I can’t remember when we didn’t have a night (weekend or weekday) that we didn’t have something going on. Makes me think that, at least here in Colorado, the days are getting shorter and while it’s still hot as HECK out, I can sense that winter will be here before we know it. It’s already back to being dark when I go to work in the mornings, and it seems as though it’s dark by 7:45 now. Bummer. I live for summer around these parts, especially since it seems like ours is usually shorter than most. I have hope this year that the snow will hold out for a few more months, but you never know. We’ve had an unseasonably warm year with very little snow earlier this year, so here’s to hoping that continues for the rest of 2011.

After my 10k a week and a half ago, I listened to my (very aching) body and took it easy the following week, running just once (5 miles) and letting myself recover. My muscles were incredibly sore, mostly from booking it uphill – it’ll get my quads every time! – and mentally and physically, I was exhausted. This week I’ve been back at it, logging 5 miles on Monday and Wednesday, back to Pilates class, and hoping to log a 7-8 mile run on Saturday. I actually don’t have any races planned for September, which is no fun, but there doesn’t seem to be any race that I really want to do, save the American Discovery Trail marathon relay over Labor Day, but one of my relay partners just moved to Denver, and my other relay partner is running the full marathon! So that’s a bit out of the question.

I did order the maternity support belt and got it in on Friday. I tested it out Monday. I took it off after a mile. It was pressing against my bladder and making my lower abdomen cramp. Ok, isn’t the point of it to relieve baby pressure off of my bladder!? Maybe I’m just not big enough yet, so I’ll try again in a few weeks. But I’m happy to say that the two 5 mile runs I’ve done this week have been met with minimal discomfort. If anything, it’s not my growing belly that’s slowing me down… it’s my stupid IT band in my left knee. Sucker hurt from the minute I started running on Monday. I rolled it out that night and on Tuesday, and my run on Wednesday felt much, much better.

Anyway..back to being busy. I know it’s only going to get worse once the kiddo is here. But you know, I like being busy. Too many nights at home and I get bored/stir crazy. What about you? Are you finding yourself busier lately, perhaps trying to pack in as many activities as possible before winter or school starts?

3 comments:

beerab said...

You are amazing to be getting in all the exercise you are- I still have to force myself to go do it half an hour a few times a week- I sure as heck know it doesn't take half an hour to run 5-8 miles!

Get it in while you can I guess- when baby arrives there goes your free time according to my coworker who has a 3 month old lol.

Anonymous said...

I want to be a regular 5 miler!! You're awesome. As for free time I am off work until after Labor Day and I plan on doing a whole lotta nothin'. And running.

Renee Paj said...

yes!! I have been incredibly busy lately, with my nephew staying with us for a few weeks, boys both back to high school ( one is a senior taking post secondary at a local community college as well as high school classes), so I have seemed to have so much little things needing to get done, and then my daughter fully moving into her house at college! whew!

glad to read all seems to be going well with you and baby!!

Post a Comment