Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Still baking that turkey

Despite threatening to arrive on Thanksgiving, Baby Marathoner decided she wasn’t ready and promptly quit attempting to make her appearing into the world last Thursday. Which is actually OK by me… as many know, I work for the DoD and budget cuts are really bad right now. People are leaving left and right and so I’ve been tasked with picking up extra work since we’re not backfilling positions (my team of 53 has dwindled to 28 in a year’s time). Personally, I love my job and plan on sticking it out –besides, who’s going to hire a 9 month pregnant lady? – but my boss asked me to take on someone else’s job duties in addition to my own full-time job. Four weeks before I’m supposedly due and will be out of the office for six weeks. YIKES. It’s stressing me out, but I’m always happy to learn new skills. The problem is, it’s completely foreign to me so it’s like starting from scratch. I literally have no clue what this woman does for her job so we’re really starting from the bottom.

Because of Baby Marathoner’s dramatics, I had to skip the Turkey Trot 5k on Thanksgiving morning! We figured better safe to be at home and 10 minutes away from the hospital instead of a few miles away from the finish line and have something happen. Surprisingly I wasn’t too sad about missing my last race of the year, although in hindsight, I wish I had been able to race. Oh well. Now it’s just a waiting game.

I have begun thinking about post-baby training. I asked for personal training as a Christmas present from my hubby, and he obliged, so I have six weeks of personal training lined up for whenever I’m cleared to get back to working out after delivery. The nice thing is, my trainer is also a runner so she will help me focus on getting back into running shape. Honestly, not that I’ve lost that much while pregnant. These last few weeks, I’ve cut my mileage for sure, but I could most likely still go run an actual 5k right now and not have any trouble. I’d be sore as heck afterwards, but the actual running isn’t a problem. But I would really like to tone my butt, stomach, and hips, so maybe that’s what we’ll work on as well. It will also be interesting to see what she recommends regarding working out and breastfeeding. The tempting thing, of course, is to cut calories to lose any remaining baby weight, but I don’t want to cut so much that my supply dwindles. We’ll see when we get there, I suppose.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving – I attempted to eat a lot, but my tummy is still squished by a baby bottom, so I couldn’t even finish one plate. Ah, wish I had that problem when I’m not pregnant, right?!

5 comments:

Karen said...

Glad for the update; I was wondering how you and baby were doing:)

Sunnydaze said...

Hi Anna. It's Sunnydaze. I've been checking in on you and Bee off and on the past couple months and just wanted to say hello. I can't believe that you are going to have the baby already! I may start blogging again in January. Take care, gurl! :D

fancy nancy said...

I was wondering since I hadn't seen anything! What an awesome Christmas present!! You're going to be great!

laura705 said...

Sorry you couldn't do the last run, but like you said, better safe than going into labor mid-race! Good job making your post-delivery training plans, and what a nice gift that'll be - and a commitment to yourself.

beerab said...

My understanding you aren't supposed to cut your diet too much while breastfeeding, but that since breastfeeding burns an extra 300 calories a day you will definitely lose weight. My coworker just had a baby four months ago and when she came back to work she said she "ballooned" from a size 2 to an 8, but now without any strict diet (but she does exercise) she's down to a size 4, she's hoping to get to a size 2 again soon, but since she's still breastfeeding she's not in a hurry.

Take it with a grain of salt cuz this is what I've heard from other's- I haven't had a baby so I don't know! lol.

Post a Comment